December 31, 2016. Temps low of 44 high of 55. Special thanks to Oliver and Mark and Rob for the pictures.   GPX file of this trip.

Rob texted. Want to go day hiking on New Years Eve day? Let's go to Sneeds Creek and hike down to the Buffalo River
and then back out on the Hemmed in Hollow falls trail back to Compton. 8 miles with 1400 feet of down and 1400 feet
of back up over those 8 miles. It would be a work out for sure.
Sent out a post on Thursday on the somoevents list. Soon we had 7 ready to go. David Julian, his wife Amy and Amy's sister Rachel.

Joshua Pennekamp brought a friend from College named David and 2 of our Ranger boys Oliver and Garrett.
Rob and I brought the number up to 9. The group met at my house in Ozark at 7:00 am. Arrived at the trail head at 8:44 am
and took the Sneeds trailhead. The first 1 mile was a trip through the woods.

A horse trail it reminded me of Hercules Glades with just gentle stroll through the woods. About a mile in we started the decent.
Lot's of switch backs. Then we came down to Sneeds Creek.

In many places it reminded us of Indian creek yet the trail was always easy to navigate. Several creek crossings stepping
across stones. We enjoyed lunch down at flat rock a huge flat rock that would make up a big 18 wheeler parking lot
that would park 30 trucks. Yup its big. Sneeds creek flows right over the top of this flat stone area.

Following along Sneeds creek is very pretty. The trail is gentle and very calming.
Three old vehicles from the 1920's scattered around.

Made Granny Henderson's cabin and then down to the OBRT. We met a man on horse back that was trail training
a "wild mustang" horse" both horses had saddles and he shared some history with us on this area. He was raised
down here and lives in Harrison, AR. He was also a Sectional Royal Ranger Commander in 1999. He works at
Silver Dollar City in a Tribute to the Great American Cowboy. We talked with him for about 15 minutes and then continued on.

We came up to Hemmend in Hollow trail cut off. 5 of our group wanted to bushwhack up to Diamond Falls
while 4 of us took the trail. Rob and Joshua had both been down this bushwhack and they enjoyed a extra
mile or two trying to find the crevice that allowed them to climb back out. Our group waited at the trail
head at 2:32 and got a cell call from Rob telling us they had another 45 minutes until they got to us.

We went up to the Compton store and got some snacks and drinks and then returned back to the Compton Trailhead.
I enjoyed talking with our Cowboy acquaintance once again as he loaded horses and gear. Soon our group was
once again together telling tales and showing signs of a tough bushwhack.
We all had a great time and the workout was good for all of us. My legs 2 days later are still a bit sore.

Click on a Picture for a larger view.  Zipfile of all these pictures.